The Downlow

My photo
austin, texas, United States
aspiring writer, English and journalism student, hails from Texas. likes include writing, coffee, books, whisky and people.

Monday, March 22, 2010

fire can be found in the eyes of the classy.

So consider me at one with nature. Props to Kay Elle for the photo. There was a big fire, and it was very warm and nice. Plus the back of my head is ridiculous!
So I have this friend/acquaintance that's going to college with me, and he wants to be a doctor so he's majoring in the bio med program. He told me yesterday that he writes music, so I asked him why he didn't just decide to major in music, and he replied with the obvious, which was that he wanted to be able to afford food and maybe a house. That night, he sent me a link to this song he wrote. I'm not going to lie, after I listened to it I was really impressed so I creeped a little bit and found his myspace music page. The kid is legit talented, he sings and composes mostly piano and acoustic pieces and they're actually good, which is rare for high school musicians on myspace. It's been bugging me for like twenty four hours now, and I think I just figured out why.
I'm pretty sure I've already subjected you guys to my rant on talent. For those of you who haven't heard, I really feel like people are born with innate talent in a specific area gifted from whatever you want to believe is or isn't up there, and that that talent is why we're here. We are all mediums for beauty in one way or another. It's always bothered me when people decide to do something for money. Before you choose a career, you should sit down and seriously ponder whether or not you would do the same job even if you didn't get payed, and if the answer is no, cross it off your freaking list because no amount of money is worth giving up what you really feel alive doing. I just couldn't imagine sitting down and being like, gee, writing doesn't pay very much. How about I be an engineer instead, even though I don't really care about it! I guess I don't put a lot of value on money. I mean I'd like to eat but I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to live in a small apartment and eat ramen for most of my life after college, and I'm okay with it. I just hope people know what they're getting themselves into when they decide to do something because it pays, because the world doesn't need any more miserable people. We've def got enough. If you can sing, by golly, sing! There's probably a reason that you can.
So I met who I think is going to be my roommate next year. Not a whole lot to say there, but she seems cool. I really love people who are open about things. There's nothing more refreshing than an acquaintance who treats you like an old friend.
Writing is sporadic. I have a plan, but I hope things come together more tangibly soon. I've taken a whole bunch of bits and pieces and finally ordered them up, which felt really good. More about that soon.
I'm really tired today and I'm not sure why. During second period, I looked down and realized that I had been wearing my shirt backwards for the entire day, and then I realized that the way the neckline on the shirt was, it made absolutely no difference. I'm really ready for college. I think I'm going to go take a nap/curl up under a snuggie and watch Law&Order reruns.
You are beautiful. LAHVE,
Loch.

No comments:

Post a Comment