The Downlow

My photo
austin, texas, United States
aspiring writer, English and journalism student, hails from Texas. likes include writing, coffee, books, whisky and people.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

the classy find beauty.

So this personal project for my English class keeps throwing me off.
I've always really liked knowing exactly who I am, and I think I've already written about this but this assignment has just tossed everything up in the air. I've "figured out" who I am like eight times in the past two months. Not cool. The presentation is on Tuesday though, so hopefully after
that's over I can go back to peacefully thinking I know who I am and being kind of mostly wrong. I have a feeling that's not how it's going to go, though. Darn.
Tonight at work, this lady called in and asked if we could wait to close so that she could get there in time. Because we're such a specialized store, we get calls like that a lot because people seem to think that we would be happy to stay open an extra half hour while they wait in traffic. Needless to say, we are not thrilled when this occurs. So tonight, the girl I was working with and I weren't happy campers when the clock struck 8 o'clock, which is closing time, and the lady hadn't shown up. I was about ready to shut the door when this kid runs in and asks me to help him find a swimsuit nervously after telling me that they had been the ones who'd called. He had some kind of disability, because he had a hearing aide in his ear, and it may have just been hearing? But I'm didn't get that vibe. Either way, he was such a sweet kid, and then the mom came in and she looked exhausted, and she apologized
vigorously as she filled out an order form for her kids swimsuit and explained to me that she worked seven days a week now and this was literally the only time she could come. Suddenly I found it very difficult to be angry.
My dad, afterwards, expressed disbelief at her working situation, and you know what, maybe he was right. Maybe she was lying. It wouldn't have been the first time I let someone get ahead of me in line or take up extra time because of a sad story that isn't true. But the thing is, I don't really mind that much. I figure that for every ten people who lie to me to get what they want, there's one person who really does need someone to cut them a break, and I, personally, enjoy random acts of kindness. I like to imagine that I'm building up good karma. I'd really like to believe that one day, when things suck, someone will cut me a break. Maybe it won't happen, but maybe it will.

I've been writing on and off, and going through old files. I'll let you know. I think I might be on a roll, maybe. Maybe I'm actually on a roll this time. Also, I have been painfully neglectful
towards the Picture of Dorian Gray the past couple of days, so expect me to be obsessing over that for a day or two. That picture is from middle school, please note how I literally look exactly the same. Cool. It was mix match day, by the way, just to clear up any confusion, although I will admit, fishnets are a personal staple of mine. HAHH.

I love you!
-Loch.

p.s. about 3% of you or less may see that picture again somewhere. Beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment