The Downlow

My photo
austin, texas, United States
aspiring writer, English and journalism student, hails from Texas. likes include writing, coffee, books, whisky and people.

Monday, August 23, 2010

go work in retail.

I'm lying on the carpet my roommate and I bought for our dorm room floor, listening to the dulcet sounds of old the Academy is... coupled with the sounds of my coffee maker brewing up my life blood.
I've got to be honest with you, there are a hundred different things I've wanted to blog about since I got here on Saturday morning but I've had minimal down time. I haven't even been able to write. It's been both worrying and weirdly comforting, the lack of time to sit and brew on the fact that I don't really live at home anymore. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just very strange and a bit disconcerting. It would be less noticeable if school organizations had already gotten into the swing, because I'm joining basically every student media organization on campus plus photography club, film club, hopefully university orchestra, and the democrat AND republican organizations (hahh things are going to get interesting.), so I'd have things to do, which I like. But right now I have to spend my time writing a two page essay on slam poetry, trying to convince myself to read my biology book and waiting for a friend to call so I can walk down the the drag and buy another sociology textbook that I evidently need.
Don't get me wrong, college is great. I definitely couldn't see myself doing anything else right now, and I literally haven't felt a twinge of homesickness. I like it here, I feel like this situation suits me, and I'm making friends. It's just a very strange transition.
College is definitely fueling my addiction to media.

Journalism is a strange career, and I wouldn't recommend it to most people. It involves late nights, low pay, pissing powerful people off and sticking your nose where you shouldn't. There is nothing that the general public both hates and needs more than the media industry. But for some reason, no matter how much I talk about how I don't really care or how I want to go in a different direction, everything always, always comes back to journalism. Like, I can't get rid of/over it. I guess it's one of those things you have to have a calling for. I've accepted that no matter how much I hate it, I'm hopelessly in love with it and there are very few things I'm more passionate about, the one and possibly only thing being my obsession for writing in general. Plus if there's anything else that I'm good at, then it's networking, damnit.

For the next couple of hours or so I'll be here in my dorm, doing homework and hopefully doing some writing. And drinking creme brule flavored coffee. And possibly watching the Disney channel.
love with everything I have,
loch.

ps, no picture because I feel like anything taken before I got here is out of date. It feels like I've been here for ages. My neighbor has some she's sending to me though, so hopefully I'll get some aesthetics up soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment