The Downlow

My photo
austin, texas, United States
aspiring writer, English and journalism student, hails from Texas. likes include writing, coffee, books, whisky and people.

Friday, June 11, 2010

EIGHTEEN

I'M EIGHTEEN I'M EIGHTEEN I'M EIGHTEEN
:D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
that's enough of that :)
I have a story to tell!
Lately, I've happened upon quite a few reasons to love people. Really. There's one
anecdote that sticks out particularly loudly in my memory of the past two or three days, and you guessed it, you get to hear about it!
So. I worked everyday this week except for
Tuesday and Wednesday, because Tuesday I was busy with graduation and Wednesday I just wasn't on the schedule. Except I found that on Wednesday, I had literally nothing to do. I was bored out of my mind, and no one could do anything with me, so finally I decided that the way to be productive was to walk a few minutes down the street to the music store near my house to buy a new violin case, because I didn't want to take my old one to college because it was old and beat up and I don't like the way hard cases look, etc. I get there and the guy shows me the case, and also tells me where to get sheet music and helps me look at metronomes, and then sells me the case for like fifteen dollars less than he should've, which was really, really nice, right? So I'm in a really good mood. I walk out of the store smiling, and I happen upon this little nail place two stores down that I've never really seen before. Now, this shopping center isn't exactly high traffic, so it's not shocking that the little nail place would go unnoticed. All the shops are behind some other buildings, and frankly I'm surprised they're staying in business. So, I'm walking by this nail place and I look at my nails and realize just how much I've been neglecting them, and I look at the inside and it looks empty but it's open, and I decide that I just graduated high school and it's about to be my birthday and damnit, I'm going to treat myself.
I walk inside and there's this lady there whose getting a pedicure whose name I later learned was Donna, and she immediatly starts talking to me. At first I thought she worked there, until an older white lady walked out of the back with nail supplies and all that. I inquired about prices, and decided to just get a manicure because hell if I was spending $55 on a
mani pedi, and more people would see my finger nails anyway. So I'm getting my nails done, and I'm talking to these two ladies about high school graduation and what I'm doing for college and my birthday coming up, and Donna, this woman who I've known for five minutes, tells me she's going to pay for my manicure as a graduation gift. She pays for it and leaves, but not before giving me a big hug, and it was absolutely the sweetest thing, and so I decide to get the pedicure as well since now I can afford it. And Rosemary, after we talk another while longer, and she's told me about her life too, decides to pay $10 of my pedicure fee ! So I only ended up paying a fraction of what I would have. I got her card and gave her a big hug too, and I'm going back to see her before I go to college, and my nails look great and those ladies were so sweet!
So I only have one thing to say: GOOD KARMA, PEOPLE. Those two
ladies are my evidence that if you're kind, you really will reap what you sow :)

I sat down and started reading a project I haven't worked on in about a month, and everything clicked. I'd stopped working on it
because I couldn't develop a plot line, and I'd started working on something new, but everything makes sense now and I've been writing nonstop. Expect more updates soon!
In case you didn't hear, I'm eighteen :)
I LOVE ALL OF YOU,
Loch.

P.S. GOOD NEWS. I quit my retail job :) now I'm a "permanent sub." I'd been working two jobs for a few weeks, but now I work specifically at CiCi's Pizza. And I love it :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment