The Downlow

My photo
austin, texas, United States
aspiring writer, English and journalism student, hails from Texas. likes include writing, coffee, books, whisky and people.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

don't hate me

I think that it is really fucking great that there are kids out there who can quote pages from the dictionary. If you know the entire english language, all the etymologies and definitions of all the words that we've ever spoken, I think you are brilliant and I'm sure you have an incredibly high IQ and I am sure that many, many colleges will welcome you into their outstretched arms. I commend you. However, you are missing the point.
Writing a novel is not stringing together meanings. Writing books and poetry has nothing to do with loving to learn new words and to use them profusely and to prove your vocabulary before everyone else's. It is about using beautiful lies to illustrate truth. That is what telling a story boils down to.

Do not tell me what I love.
-Loch

No comments:

Post a Comment